Who we are.

Join the fight against pancreatic cancer! The 2015 Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk is Sunday, November 1st at Sloan's Lake Park, Denver, CO.

All the money raised goes directly to pancreatic cancer research thanks to the Lustgarten Foundation!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Doctor with pancreatic cancer alive thanks to blood donors


WOODBURY, Minn. - A Woodbury doctor who has used donated blood to save the lives of children is now himself on the receiving end.

Diagnosed with end stage pancreatic cancer last year, Dr. Dick Marnach didn't expect to live until August.
"I was able to have Christmas with my kids. Without blood and blood products I wouldn't be here," Marnach said. "I would have been gone six or seven months ago."

Medication and blood donations have extended his life and given him new energy. He is now spending precious time with his three young sons. And as active as they are, jumping from remote control toys to the computer to peering at their new fish, he's actually keeping up.

"I go from being bed ridden to being able to get up play with my kids and be a normal dad and I am incredibly grateful," Marnach said.

As a pediatric anesthesiologist, Dr. Marnach has seen blood save lives.

"In the Children's Hospitals, we use blood on a daily basis to save children's' lives. Most people just don't realize that and realize how important it is."

Marnach has given his own blood to patients in other countries and seen people die overseas without it. So he doesn't take for granted the gift he's been given.

"Blood is exactly equivalent to organ donation because there's no substitute for a heart for a child when they need a heart transplant. And believe me, as a physician, I well know that there's no substitute for blood."
He says his cancer is no longer visible on any scans which he calls "profoundly unusual." It means he may have months or maybe years more with his boys. It's a miracle provided by strangers' blood.

"I so wish I could thank each person that gave me that blood and personally, for saving my life," Marnach said.

Dr. Marnach knows how precious the gift of blood is. He doesn't want to take it away from others and said he asks his doctors to only give him enough to sustain him.

So he wants to help save more lives by telling his story. He hopes it inspires at least 100 people come to the KARE 11 studios on Friday, January 6, 2012 from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. for a blood drive put on by Health Fair 11 and the Red Cross. No appointment necessary. Click here for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment