Who we are.

Join the fight against pancreatic cancer! The 2015 Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk is Sunday, November 1st at Sloan's Lake Park, Denver, CO.

All the money raised goes directly to pancreatic cancer research thanks to the Lustgarten Foundation!

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Food & Cancer: One local baker makes a drastic change for her health

We've all read articles how process foods and high fructose corn syrup may be contributors to pancreatic cancer, and pancreatic cancer aside, there have been thousands of books, articles and even movies about how our foods is impacting our health and in some cases our fertility.

Here's a local story -- a woman from Arvada diagnosed with ovarian cancer who as part of her recovery decided to take both sugar and gluten out of her diet.


I remember the day I was told that I could not have sugar or flour anymore. This would be devastating to many people, to myself it was doubly so! You see, my husband Ed Dimmer and I, Maro Dimmer, own and operate a great German bakery, called "Rheinlander" in Olde Towne Arvada, Colorado. Today when I tell people I cannot have sugar or flour, they immediately assume that I am diabetic. However, the disease I am faced with is cancer.
I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2001 at age 42. The cancer was treated successfully with surgery (a full blown hysterectomy) plus an intense chemotherapy regimen for half a year (Taxol and Carboplatinum). I never questioned that chemotherapy and surgery saved my life, but in order to survive the disease a lot more is needed. I have always been a researcher, so during chemotherapy I started studying my disease. I was determined to figure out what else I could do to enhance the long-term effectiveness of the conventional cancer treatments.
My Western doctors were not really concerned about nutrition but there was plenty of information on the internet about the relationship between what you feed yourself and cancer as well as many other serious diseases. This is when I discovered what I now call the biggest irony in my life. The fact that sugar feeds cancer cells. As a matter of fact it is the preferred fuel for the anaerobic environment cancer thrives in. In my case, staying away from sugar and fast carbs (white flour, potatoes, rice, soda pop and fruit juices) was a matter of life or death. Imagine being surrounded by the most luscious European style pastries and cakes and realizing that eating them would be feeding your cancer and worsening your health.
The challenge that I accepted for myself was to see if I could become knowledgeable about nutrition and its relationship to how well we live. My husband and I made a drastic lifestyle change and I put together my antic-cancer regimen. It includes lots of salads, chicken, fish, turkey and lots of fresh green juices (no carrots or beets because of their high sugar content). Today, Ed and I are great fans of Dr. Ron Rosedale and Dr. Joe Mercola. Their optimal health programs are right on for disease prevention.
In sharing my story with many of our customers I became acutely aware that I was not alone. I realized that the anti-cancer regimen I was following is also the diabetic friendly lifestyle. Many people were in the restricted zone and they shared many of their sugarless dessert options with me. Many of these options, usually low-carb commercial power bars or mixes for cookies and brownies were not exactly palatable! That's when Ed and I set out to create desserts that tasted better than sugar and were better for you. It took two years of research, trial and error to find the best and healthiest sweetener alternatives, as well as the best and healthiest flour replacers the market has to offer. Now when our customers taste our sugarless gluten free pastries, they are thrilled! Sometimes, I dare them to tell the difference between our traditional desserts and our healthy choices.
Our Sweet Deliverance website brings you the very same healthy desserts we sell at our retail bakery "Rheinlander". My hope and mission is that people will make the switch, because as I tell my customers, it is not really a sacrifice or a compromise. It's a delicious choice that makes sense for your health and well-being. Knowledge IS power!
To learn more visit: http://www.rheinlanderbakery.com/

And for gluten free eateries in Denver ... visit CBS4's website at:

No comments:

Post a Comment