Who we are.

Join the fight against pancreatic cancer! The 2015 Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk is Sunday, November 1st at Sloan's Lake Park, Denver, CO.

All the money raised goes directly to pancreatic cancer research thanks to the Lustgarten Foundation!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ask Dr. Amy


Ask Dr. AmyDr. Amy D’Aprix, MSW, PhD, CSA, is a life transition consultant, author, professional speaker, facilitator, coach and expert in aging, retirement and caregiving. She is President of Dr. Amy Inc. and the Executive Director of the DAI Foundation on Caregiving.  
 
She is a regular contributor to caregiverstress.com:


I don’t think it’s good for my mom to be living alone so far away. How can I convince her to move?

Question: My mother has been living alone since my father died. She is in the house they both lived in for 40 years. I don’t think it is good for her to be living alone and have suggested that she move nearer to me and my wife. We live about 3 hours away. I am… read more

How do I talk to my father about his end-of-life plans?

Question:  My father was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer. I want to talk with him about what he would like for his end-of-life plans but I don’t have any idea how to start the conversation. He never has liked to talk about personal things. Do you have any ideas about how I can approach this? … read more

How do I get my siblings more involved in helping me take care of our parents?

Question:  I have three brothers and sisters but they all live in other parts of the country. I live in the same town as my parents. I’m happy to do things for my parents, but I think my siblings believe they don’t have to do anything because they live far away. How do I get… read more

I’m trying to balance caring for my mother, keeping up at work, and managing my own household. Do you have any suggestions?

Question: My mother is very disabled from a stroke, and recently she had another stroke. I’m doing my best to care for her at home, but I also have a husband and three children, and I work full-time. My mother’s mind hasn’t been the same since her first stroke. She is often very confused and doesn’t… read more

How do I tell my mother that she can’t keep calling me at work all the time?

Question:  I’m feeling very frustrated because my mother is constantly calling me at work and it is interfering with my job. My mother lives by herself since my father died. I think she may be bored and doesn’t know what to do with herself. I have tried to explain that her phone calls are very… read more

No comments:

Post a Comment